BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVE WORKS STATE HISTORICAL MARKER DEDICATION

Posted September 15th, 2009 at 3:36 pm.

The Pennsylvania Museum & Historical Commission, the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, and the Friends of Franklintown Park presents
BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVE WORKS STATE HISTORICAL MARKER DEDICATION
In Franklintown Park, 19th & Hamilton Streets, 2:00 p.m.

In 1835 Matthias Baldwin built Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia’s Bush Hill. Expanding from its original site at Broad and Hamilton Streets to encompass 39 buildings covering 17 acres, it became the leading manufacturer of Steam locomotives for the U.S. and the world. This area was transformed from a rural estate into one of the City’s first factory neighborhoods. At its peak in 1907, Baldwin employed over 18,000 men. production ceased in 1956.

Filed under: Uncategorized by Margaret Kelly

Comments are closed.